A common problem with all kinds of TV is watching horizontal lines. If you are unwinding after a long day, turning the TV on to only find horizontal lines, I know how annoyed you’ll get. So, this article is here to help.
You can see horizontal lines if the TV LED/LCD panel underwent some physical damage recently. You will need to call for professional help if this is the case. Another reason can be loose wire connections, where you must reconnect the wires properly to fix the horizontal lines.
If you’ve been getting horizontal lines on your TV and don’t know what to do about it, this article will help you find the possible issues and also help you fix them. So, keep reading.
Check out our list of top-handpicked products for all your electrical, appliance, and HVAC system needs to keep your home running smoothly.This post includes some affiliate links.
Why do I see horizontal lines on my TV? (10 reasons)
There can be multiple reasons for seeing horizontal lines on your TV screen.
And I know you would want to fix it fast so you wouldn’t miss watching your favorite shows.
Let’s find out all the possible reasons that can make you see horizontal lines on the TV screen.
We will discuss the fixes after understanding the potential issues.
1. Loose connections
More often than not, the wires connected to your TV can get loose.
If you moved the TV recently or someone in your family moved or bumped into it, the wires can get loose.
You might see horizontal lines in such a case until you fix the issue.
2. Physical damage
If your TV had fallen off from its place or it bumped into anything while you or anyone else was moving it, the LED or LCD might have undergone some physical damage.
This can lead to you seeing horizontal lines on the display screen when you turn on the TV.
3. Outdated software
Sometimes, the software of your TV might be outdated, due to which you might be seeing horizontal lines.
Especially if the graphics driver is outdated, the chances of seeing horizontal lines are high.
You will need to update the software to fix this issue.
It can get overheated if you’ve been turning on the TV non-stop.
Any appliance will get overheated if you overuse it.
And you can see horizontal lines if your TV is overheated.
5. External devices
Another reason behind horizontal lines on your TV screen might be the interference of external devices.
You might have headphones, speakers, or game consoles plugged into your TV that can cause interruptions and lead to horizontal lines.
Ensure that these are connected properly.
Also, ensure the game console’s screen resolution matches your TV.
6. Resolution mismatch
You might be watching a channel that doesn’t match the TV’s resolution.
This can lead to horizontal lines on your TV screen.
Check other channels and see if the problem persists.
7. Incorrect input mode
An incorrect input mode can cause horizontal lines on the TV.
A TV comes with many input modes, such as DVD, HDMI, Side AV, HDMI, etc.
You might be playing the TV with the wrong input mode, which can lead to seeing horizontal lines.
8. Dust accumulation
Dust accumulation can also prevent your TV from functioning properly and cause horizontal lines.
If any part of your TV, especially internal, has dust and dirt, it can make the TV overheat and cause horizontal lines.
9. Faulty T-Con Board
A major reason people see horizontal or vertical lines on their TV screens is a faulty or damaged T-Con board.
This small board inside the TV is responsible for converting the signal to the picture display.
So, if this small part is not working, you might see those horizontal lines.
10. Electricity issues
Minor electricity or power glitches can cause those horizontal lines you find on your TV.
But you can fix this easily.
How do I fix the horizontal lines on my TV?
Now that we have discussed the possible causes, let’s understand how we can fix these issues and get your TV back to functioning again.
1. Check the cables and wires
The first step when you see horizontal lines on the TV screen is checking the TV and its cables.
If you find any loose cable or wire, it might be causing the horizontal lines.
You can fix this by unplugging those cables and plugging them back properly, so they are not loose anymore.
2. Check if there’s any physical damage
If your TV has any physical damage, some internal parts might get broken, due to which you might see horizontal lines.
You might also find that the screen is damaged.
You might see cracks on the TV screen in these cases.
These can happen if you have children or pets in the house who might accidentally damage the TV.
If this is the case, you will need professional help to fix the TV.
Call customer service or hire a professional to get it fixed.
3. Update the software
Using the TV with outdated software can lead to various issues, including horizontal lines on the screen.
Consider updating the TV software if you haven’t done so.
Here’s how you do it:
- Navigate to the “Settings” page using your remote.
- Now select the “Support” option.
- Under that, you will see the “Software Update” option. Select that.
- And then go for Update now or auto-update.
4. Turn off your TV
Didn’t I tell you about overheating? It happens when you keep the TV on for long hours.
If you touch the TV, you’ll understand if it is overheating.
In such a scenario, turn the TV off and give it some rest.
TVs cannot tolerate too high temperatures, which happens when you overuse them.
So, avoid overusing it and remember to give it rest to prevent horizontal lines on the screen.
5. Check the external devices
External devices like headphones or set-top boxes can also influence the functioning of your TV.
If these devices are not corrected properly or if the devices are at fault, you might see horizontal lines on your TV.
Try disconnecting these devices and check if the issue is fixed.
If it is, the device might be at fault.
6. Conduct a picture test
This might not be available for all TVs, but you can do a picture test if you have a Samsung TV.
Here are the steps:
- Press the “Home” button on the remote.
- Now select the “Smart Hub” option.
- From there, go to the “Support” option.
- Now you will see the “Device care” option. Select it.
- Now the TV will do a scan, so wait for it to finish and do not press anything.
- Now select the “Self-diagnosis” option.
- Now you’ll see “Picture Test.” Select it.
This can help fix the issue of the horizontal lines on the TV screen.
7. Change the input mode
As I mentioned earlier, the TV comes with different input sources.
Try changing the input mode and see if this fixes the horizontal lines.
For example: If your TV is on HDMI 1, try changing it to HDMI 2.
Don’t forget to change the source in the settings using your TV remote.
8. Clean the dust
I remember experiencing a problem with my TV, which got fixed after I cleaned all the dust and dirt.
I couldn’t imagine that dust might be an issue, but it is!
Since dust can cause the TV to overheat, you should clean them up.
And by cleaning, I don’t mean cleaning the surface areas.
I am talking about cleaning the internal parts of the TV.
Here’s how you can do it but remember to be careful:
- Place the TV on a table or the floor so you can see the back panel.
- Take a screwdriver and unscrew it.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to clean all the dust.
9. Check the T-Con board
If the T-Con board is faulty, your TV will not function properly, and you might see horizontal lines.
To check and replace the board, you will need professional help.
But if you decide to do it yourself, here’s how you go about it:
- Turn off and unplug the TV.
- Place the TV on a table or floor.
- Unscrew the back of the TV using a screwdriver.
- The placement of the T-Con board will vary based on your TV brand and model. I suggest you take a look at the user manual so you can identify it.
- First, you need to disconnect the cables from the board by pulling them gently. Disconnect the LVD and the ribbon cables.
- Now unscrew the screws that hold the T-Con board in place.
- Take out the T-Con board and place the new one in its place.
- Screw the board in place.
- Reconnect all the cables gently.
- Screw the TV’s back panel, plug it in, and turn it on to check if it is working.
10. Restart the TV
Since minor power glitches can lead to horizontal lines, you can just restart the TV to fix this issue.
Here’s how you restart the TV:
- Turn the tv off.
- Unplug it from the power outlet.
- Press the power button for 10 seconds.
- Plug the TV back and turn it on to check if the issue is fixed.
11. Factory reset
A factory reset can fix many internal issues that make your TV go haywire and show you the horizontal lines.
How you reset your TV will depend on its brand and model.
I have mentioned the reset process for some brands, but you can also check the user manual of your TV.
If you have an LG TV:
- Press the “Menu” button on the remote.
- Now go to the “All settings” option.
- Now you will see the “General” button. Select it.
- Keep scrolling till you find the “Reset to initial settings” option.
- Select it, and it will reset the TV.
If you have a Sony TV:
- Press the “Home” button on the remote.
- Scroll till you find the “Settings” option. Select it.
- Now select the “Storage and reset” option.
- You will then see the “Restore Factory Settings” option.
- Select the “Erase all data” option, which will reset the TV.
If you have a Samsung TV:
- Press the “Menu” button on your remote.
- Find and select the “Support” option.
- Now choose “Self Diagnosis.”
- And then select “Reset.”
- You might need to enter a 4-digit pin to confirm the reset.
If you have a Phillips TV:
- Press the “Home” button on the remote.
- Now select the “Settings” icon that you see at the right of the TV screen.
- Now, find the “General settings” option.
- Select and look for the “Factory settings” option.
- Choose the “Reset” option and press “OK.”
I know it is disturbing to find horizontal lines on your TV, and you would want to fix this as soon as possible. Inspect your TV thoroughly and check all the possible causes mentioned in this article.
In minor cases, you can fix the issue by resetting the TV, restarting it, cleaning it, or fixing the cables and external devices. But if there’s any major issue, you should seek professional help.
- 14 Ways To Fix TV Has No Sound But Not Muted
- TV Remote Won’t Work After Changing Batteries? (Why+Fix)
- Why Is My LG Tv Stuck On Logo Screen? (6 Problems+Fix)
How much does it cost to fix horizontal lines on TV?
If your TV has some major issue you cannot fix yourself, you will need to call for professional help.
Or, there might be some issue with any TV part, like the T-Con board, where you need to replace it.
These will require some dollars; usually, the cost of fixing horizontal lines on TV is between $150 and $ 400.