Blenders are among the most useful appliances which we use in our daily life. Imagine you are trying to make a favorite smoothie, and you pour the ingredients inside the blender jar and start blending, and you see it leaking through the blade.
There can be several reasons for a leaky blender, like a damaged rubber gasket, the drive stud being loosened up, the blades not spinning, or there can be space between the blade and the base of the blender jar. Identify the possible cause, and fix the same to prevent the blender from leaking.
In this article, I will explain why your blender leaks through the blade and how to fix it easily. So, keep reading.
Check out our list of top-handpicked products for all your electrical, appliance, and HVAC system needs to keep your home running smoothly.This post includes some affiliate links.
Why is my blender leaking through the blade?
Before getting to the solutions, we should know why the blender leaks through the blade.
These are some reasons.
1. Damaged rubber gasket
A rubber gasket is a rubber ring that helps to prevent leakage from the blending jar.
The gasket is between the blending container or jar and the blade assembly.
It creates an air vacuum that resists the leaking of freshly blended food.
But if the rubber gasket is damaged or cracked, you should replace the gasket.
Sometimes the gasket rubber becomes thin for long use.
This can be one of the reasons why your blender is leaking through the blade.
2. Clogged rubber gasket
Sometimes the rubber gasket, located between the blending container and the blade assembly, is clogged up by food particles and dirt.
And the clogging particles can push the chamber down and create space between the jar and the blade assembly.
And through the space, the blender starts leaking.
3. Faulty gasket washer on drive stud
A gasket washer looks like a rubber gasket.
But the washer is smaller in size.
It locates under the blade and over the small metal rod.
The metal rod is a long steel arm from the back of the blender blade and connects to the motor.
This gasket washer prevents the leaking through the blade.
But for prolonged use, the washer becomes damaged or thin, which can ensure the leaking.
4. Too much space between the blade and the blender base
The blades and the bottom of the base are always tightened together.
But if some food particles clog inside the space or the blade and blender base need to be set properly, the blender starts leaking water through the space.
5. Faulty blades
A faulty blade also causes the leaking of a blender.
Blades help grind, blend, and mix the foods inside the jar.
When blending or grinding, the blades are connected to the rotating head of the motor. This motor helps the blade to blend the food.
For some reason, the blade can be faulty and slow down.
This can be a reason why your blender leaks through the blade.
6. Clogged blade area
A clogged blade area can cause the leaking of a blender.
Sometimes you can see the blender’s motor moving, but the blades are not spinning.
So there can be two reasons behind it.
Some food particles or debris are clogged inside the blade area, or the drive stud is not working properly.
7. Lose drive stud
A drive stud is a small metal rod connected to the blades inside the jar and the motor.
It helps to spin the blades.
But sometimes the drive stud gets loose, which is why the blades are not spinning.
And it can cause the leaking of the blender.
5 ways to fix the blender leaking through the blade
Here are the ways to fix a blender leaking through the blade.
1. Check the blender jar is fitted properly with the base
The blender jar is the upper part of a blender where we insert foods.
And the base is the bottom part of the jar, which is connected to the blade assembly.
To check if the blender jar properly fits the base, follow the steps below:
- First of all, disconnect the power supply.
- Remove the blending jar assembly from the blender. The bottom part of the blender is called the housing, which contains a high-speed motor and switch control.
- Once done, take the blender jar and check the base to see if it is wobbling.
- If you find the base is loose and wobbling, you should tighten it up with the help of a wrench or your hand by moving it right.
- If the base is not loosened up, there must be a problem inside the base.
- To check the inside, you must lose the base and remove it from the jar.
- Now, look inside the base. Have you found any particles or dirt inside it? Then it can be the reason that your blender is leaking. The clogged particle creates space between the jar and the base assembly, that’s why it can’t fit properly. And that is the reason water is leaking.
- Now clean the inside of the base with dish soap and warm water. Then rinse it with clean water, and do not put everything until it is dry.
2. Replace the rubber gasket
A rubber gasket called O-Ring, located between the blending jar and the blade assembly works like a seal.
It prevents water leakage through the blade.
But if the gasket is cracked or damaged by prolonged use, you should replace it with a new rubber gasket.
To replace the rubber gasket, you need to follow the below steps:
- Before doing anything, you should disconnect the electric wire from the power supply.
- The next step is to remove the jar assembly from the blender.
- Now unscrew the base from the jar. And then, you can see that a blade assembly with a seal is coming from the jar. The seal is called a gasket. Sometimes the whole blade assembly with the gasket can stick to the base when you remove the base.
- Now take the blade assembly and remove the rubber gasket from it.
- Once it is done, install the new rubber gasket and seal it here. Remember, the gasket or seal goes over the top of the blade assembly, so it seals between the jar and the base of the blade assembly. It does not go into the base itself.
- Now place the blade assembly inside the base of the jar and screw the whole assembly back onto the jar. Make sure you don’t over-tighten it, or you can crack the base.
- Place the jar back into the blender and check if the leaking has stopped.
3. Clean the blades and the blades assembly
Sometimes the blades or the blades assembly can clog with food particles, debris, or other elements.
This can be a cause of why the blade is getting slow, and a slow blade can cause the leaking.
You should clean up the blades and the whole assembly to fix the issue.
- Unplug the blender and turn off the blender switch.
- Remove the jar from the blender.
- Open the lid. And keep the upside down of the jar.
- Remove the base from the jar.
- Now you can get access to the blade assembly.
- Unscrew the black crown shape coupler, located backside of the assembly, in the base. And pull out the blade assembly.
- Now soak it in warm soapy water and wash it with a brush. And does not use it until it is dry.
- Once it is dried, reversely install all the parts by following the steps. Now check if the blender is still leaking or not.
4. Fix the faulty blade
A faulty blade can be a reason why your blender is leaking through the blades.
If the blades of the blade assembly are wobbling, then it can be a reason for leaking.
To check If the blade is faulty, follow the steps below:
- Remove the blending jar from the blender.
- Take the jar and remove the lid.
- Now look inside the jar and try to shake the blade. Is it wobbling? If yes, then there must be a problem with the gasket washer.
- The gasket washers are small rubber gaskets that must stay on the blades’ small metal rod back side. The small narrow steel metal channel starts from the back of the blades. It connects the blades with the blade assembly.
- To check the gasket washer, remove the blade from the assembly.
- Now, remove the base of the jar. And you get access to the blade assembly.
- Remove the blade assembly from the base and also remove the gasket in the blade assembly.
- Now loosen up the black crown shape coupler on the backside of the blade assembly and spin it until it removes from the assembly.
- Once it is done, once the coupler comes out, pull the blade outside.
- Now you can see the old rubber washer on the drive stud.
- Pull out the washer and check if it is damaged or not. If it is damaged, then replace the washers with new washers.
If you still do not find a washer, you should wear the drive stud with one.
4. Replace the blade
Sometimes a blade can cause the leaking of a blender.
To fix it, you should replace the blades.
- Unplug the wire and turn off the blender switch.
- Now remove the jar from the blender.
- Remove the lid of the jar and keep it upside down.
- Take a nut wrench and loosen up the crown shape black coupler from the base. Now you can find the blades with the metal rod coming out.
- Now take a new blade and install it in the same place.
- Tighten up the black coupler. But make sure, not over-tighten. Now check if the leaking issue is resolved or not.
5. Tighten the drive stud or replace it
The drive stud is the long metal rod between the motor and the blade assembly.
When the motor starts spinning, it also helps the blades to spin.
So when you see the motor spinning but the blades are not, there must be a problem with the driving stud.
The drive stud may be loose, so you should tighten it up the drive stud.
To tighten the drive stud:
- Unplug the power line. And take away the jar from the blender.
- Remove the base and turn the blender around.
- Look at the opposite side. You can find a drive shaft and a long metal rod. It should come out from the bottom of the motor.
- Now hold the shaft with a wrench or piler. Then turn the blender on its side to attach the wrench to the drive stud.
- To turn the drive stud clockwise to tighten it, you should hold the drive shaft rigidly.
If the drive stud is damaged, you should replace it with a new one.
To replace the new drive stud, you should follow the reverse steps of tightening the drive stud to lose it up.
Then remove the stud and remove the old stud and install a new one with all the parts.
Once it is done right up the stud.
The blender has become an essential part of people’s daily routines, and it can be troubling to find it leaking through the blade. I have explained all the possible problems and their solutions above. So, these should help you fix the issue.
If you find it difficult to fix the blender on your own, call for professional help. If the issue cannot be fixed, you might need to get a new blender.
Reference: Ninja BN400 Series Official Guide, Ninja Official All Blender Guide.