LG refrigerators are among the best refrigerators that work great and last long. But if your refrigerator is frozen, it can damage the items inside. To prevent any damage, you need to defrost your LG refrigerator.
You can manually defrost your LG refrigerator by pressing the center or defrost button. Press it for 2-3 seconds until the refrigerator turns off, and then the defrosting will start. If that doesn’t work, you can remove the plug to turn off the refrigerator and keep the door open for the ice to melt.
In this article, I will share the ways to defrost your LG refrigerator. So keep reading.
Check out our list of top-handpicked products for all your electrical, appliance, and HVAC system needs to keep your home running smoothly.This post includes some affiliate links.
How do I defrost my LG refrigerator?
There are 2 ways to defrost your LG refrigerator.
Let’s take a look.
1. Here is the easiest way to defrost your LG refrigerator:
- Unplug the refrigerator.
- Remove all the food and items from the inside.
- Keep the door open and wait for 8 hours to defrost the refrigerator.
2. Defrost the LG refrigerator manually by selecting the defrost mode.
- First, open the refrigerator door, and you can find the defrost button.
- Press the button until the unit goes to off mode and the defrost process will start.
- After defrosting, the button will enter its place automatically, and the refrigerator will start working.
- Take a towel and soak excess water.
- After 8 hours, take a dry towel to remove any moisture from the refrigerator.
- Turn the refrigerator on, and wait 24-48 hours for it to return to its normal position.
- Make sure the air vents inside the refrigerator and door are labeled, and the door is closed completely. Now deforestation is complete.
How to prevent frost buildup in my LG refrigerator?
To prevent frost from building up inside the LG refrigerator, you must remember the following steps:
- Keep your refrigerator compartment filled, and stop opening the refrigerator door frequently.
- Don’t keep the refrigerator door open for a long time. If you keep your refrigerator door open for a long time, the temperature inside the refrigerator does not keep cold, and the food and items get spoiled.
- You should keep your refrigerator door closed properly every time you open it.
- Do not place any hot water inside the refrigerator. Too much heat can make your refrigerator work overtime, and as a result, frost will build up.
- Clean your refrigerator door seal once a month; if you find it is damaged, you need to replace it.
How to fix the defrost timer of your LG refrigerator?
The defrost timer is located near the compressor at the back of the refrigerator.
It’s possible to find it behind the top windscreen, inside the temperature control emulator, or directing the cover plate into the refrigerator.
Sometimes the defrost timer can stop working, and you need to reset it.
To reset it, look for the round notch.
Use a flathead screwdriver to turn the round notch.
Keep doing it till the fan stops.
If you hear the fan stops, the reset is complete.
And the fan should start working after some time.
How to replace the defrost sensor?
The defrost sensor is housed in the same compartment as the evaporator coils.
It’s usually near the defrost heater wires, near the top right side of the coils.
Sometimes the defrost sensor stops working or can be damaged.
So you need to check it properly.
To check the defrost sensor on your refrigerator, you must gain access and remove it from the control board.
A multimeter is required to check the defrost heater properly.
You can use the multimeter to check the defrost sensor’s continuity.
If it does not show continuity, you need to replace it.
Follow the steps below to replace the defrost sensor:
- Open the refrigerator and take out the bin located at the bottom of the refrigerator.
- Take a screwdriver and Remove all the screws that hold the door panel to the refrigerator rails.
- Once you remove the refrigerator, take out the food drawers from the top and bottom of the refrigerator.
- Once both the top and bottom drawers are removed, it is time to take out the top and bottom rails of the refrigerator.
- Once the rails are removed, take out the back panel of the refrigerator.
- Once the back panel is removed, you can find the defrost sensor at the evaporator’s top.
- Now remove the thermostat from the bottom of the defrost sensor and the fuse from the top of it.
- Once done, disconnect the wiring loom that connects the sensor to the refrigerator’s back.
- Now remove the sensor.
- Now you have to install the new defrost sensor. To do that, first, take a defrost sensor and route this up in the evaporator so that you can mount it once the fuse is installed.
- Take the wiring loom of the new sensor and run it up behind the copper line and plug it in by pushing the locking tab.
- Now rob the wiring down and around the evaporator’s side. Secure it with the zip ties.
- Install the thermostat, and put the back panel in its place. Make sure you disconnect the wire harnesses when you are doing it.
- Reinstall both rails. Also, install the bins and screw up the door assembly.
How to replace the defrost heater of the LG refrigerator?
The defrost heater is found in the evaporator compartment and is connected to the evaporator coils.
To test the heater, you need to access it first. You can find the connectors that keep the wires in place.
Use a piler, or use your fingers to pull out the connectors.
Now use a multimeter and check the continuity on the heater.
Before starting the test, set the multimeter in R X 1.
If the multimeter does not show continuity, you need to replace it.
Follow the instructions below to start replacing the defrost heater:
- The first step is to get all the tools together. Take a new defrost heater set-up, a pair of needle-nose pliers, a nut driver, and gloves.
- Put gloves on your hand and disconnect the refrigerator’s power cord from the power source of your house, or you can turn down the circuit breaker to disconnect the power supply of your house.
- Now remove all food items first and then remove the shelves and drawers from the refrigerator to make it empty.
- Now you need to take out the back wall of the refrigerator to get access to the evaporator. To do that, first, you need to remove all the screws from the cover of the refrigerator and remove it. Pull the top off the cover to see the evaporator. Open the evaporator fan’s wire harness.
- Disconnect the wiring of the ice maker, then remove the cover of the evaporator.
- Once that is done, disconnect the wiring connected to the defrost heater. Now take out the straps at the evaporator’s base. The defrost heater is covered all around the evaporator coils. Take it out and replace it with a new one.
- Take a new defrost heater and place it under the evaporator coils where the old heater was located. Wrap the straps and push them back into place.
- Reconnect the wiring harness, install the evaporator cover properly, and install all the screws.
- Put the shelves and the drawer in their place and plug in the refrigerator.
Every refrigerator gets frosted after sometimes of use, so you must defrost it once a year. The new models of LG refrigerators come with an auto-defrost system. You can follow the process mentioned in this article to defrost your refrigerator manually.
If your refrigerator is still not defrosting, you need to check the defrost sensor, timer, and heater. If you find any problem, you can replace it by following the article.
After reading this article, if you find the process difficult, you can seek professional help.
- How To Reset LG Refrigerator? (7 Easy Steps)
- Refrigerator Power Cord Too Short: Quick Fix
- How To Defrost Whirlpool Refrigerator?
Where is the defrost button in the LG refrigerator?
The defrost button is located in the center of the thermostat knob inside the refrigerator. You need to push the button to start the defrosting.
Where do I find the defrost timer in my LG refrigerator?
The defrost timer is located inside the compressor region at the back of the freezer. Also, in a few models, you will find it behind the back wall or inside the refrigerator housing.
How do you trigger a defrost cycle in the LG refrigerator?
To trigger the defrost cycle in an LG refrigerator, you need to press the defrost button on the temperature control knob and hold it until the fan turns off and defrosting does not start.